Thursday, May 17, 2012

Why I Like Bike To Work Day


This Bike to Work Day I’ve been reminiscing. After a decade or so of participating in the event, I’m sometimes worried I’ve become jaded. Sure, sometimes it seems like a silly exercise for those of us who bike to work fairly regularly (or not so regularly...). One day of the year where the non-bike riders try it out, fill up the buses and bike lanes, and get in the way of  “real” bike commuters
Then I come to my senses. Bike to Work Day is an opportunity to celebrate something so healthy, so good, so FUN, that I can’t resist sharing it! And to share a conversation and maybe a ride with people who don’t ride regularly. And maybe get a t-shirt and some free snacks. I’m failing to see a downside here.
As the years go by, I’ve come to appreciate the opportunity Bike to Work Day gives us to talk to our friends and co-workers about bicycling. Not just about biking to work, but about biking for fun, about bikes, about family, about joy. Already this year the discussions about Bike to Work Day have spurred some of my co-workers to ride. Maybe they aren’t commuting to work, but they’re starting (or restarting) to ride around their neighborhood – to the park, the store, the library. I’m very excited that so many people at work are talking about biking, about getting their bikes tuned up and getting out to ride.
That’s enough of a reason for me to rejoice in Bike to Work Day in all its craziness. So hopefully, this Friday (and many other Fridays to come) I’ll see you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment