SANDAG honors Bike Coalition for leadership, dedication and commitment to alternative transportation programs in San Diego
SANDAG recently announced the winners of its 2014 Diamond Awards, naming the San Diego County Bicycle Coalition in the category of Program Excellence. The Bike Coalition received the award based on programs and actions taken to encourage commuter choices, effectiveness of said programs and outreach tactics in the San Diego region.
Highlights of the Bicycle Coalition application include:
- Hosting San Diego’s first-ever open streets celebration, CicloSDias, in August, 2013
- Hosting the sixth annual Bike the Bay, the only opportunity to ride bicycles across the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge
- Coordinating Tour de Fat and raising thousands of dollars for local bicycling nonprofits
- Offering bicycle parking at more than twenty community events in 2013
- Hosting free public workshops to give safety tips to anyone in San Diego bicycling on the road
- Creating the Regional Bike Walk Alliance, a group supporting livable communities and streets in San Diego County
- Partnering for a record-setting Bike to Work Day in 2013
- Participated in City of San Diego Bike Share Review Panel
- Visiting San Diego businesses to present bicycle commuting benefits and resources
“It’s an honor to be recognized amongst some of the best individuals and organizations in San Diego County promoting alternative transportation methods,” says Executive Director of the Coalition, Andy Hanshaw. “We’re grateful to have the Diamond Awards as a formal recognition of all that these folks do on a daily basis to make San Diego a commuter-friendly city.”
The Bicycle Coalition would also like to congratulate its Board Member, Randy Van Vleck, for his involvement with the City Heights Community Development Corporation to earn the Community Champion Diamond Award, as well as its communications consultant, Mixte Communications, for winning Best New Program.