Local panel divulges top tips and tricks to encourage family biking at San Diego’s first Bike Fiesta this Saturday (at new San Diego Central Library)
WHAT: At San Diego’s first Bike Fiesta, six residents from around the County will host an interactive panel to shatter the stereotype of “Minivan Moms” and the “Spandex Cyclist.” The panelists, composed of parents, small business owners and bike-lovers, will explain there is no excuse to prevent you and your family from getting around San Diego County via bicycle, especially during National Bike Month.
Additionally, the Bike Coalition plans to give away free children’s helmets to the first 50 kids at Bike Fiesta, courtesy of the Tony Hawk Foundation.
· Six local San Diegans who want to share how they’ve incorporating bicycling functionality, fashion and fun into their family lives:
o Nicole Burgess- Bicycle Advocate and Mom from Ocean Beach.
o Mariah VanZerr- City of Coronado Active Transportation Planner
o Chris Taylor- Father, local attorney and passionate bicycle supporter in South Park.
o Judi Tentor: Mission Hills resident living 100 percent car-free and with some of the best bike fashion in San Diego.
o Laurel Graziano– Owner of Alterna Bikes in Solana Beach – a shop specializing in cargo bicycles.
o Sandra Pimentel- Advocate and women’s riding expert
· Hundreds of community members and people who love bikes
· Local bicycling companies including Tern, Performance Bicycles and Bikes del Pueblo
WHEN: Saturday, May 10, 2014, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
A schedule of Bike Fiesta activities include:
· 10:30 a.m. – Bike Commuting 101: Tips and tricks to bike to work smartly
· Noon – Film Screening of bicycle film, “MASH”
· 1 p.m. – Family Riding Panel Discussion – Six people from San Diego County share tips and tricks for bicycling with kids, pets groceries – and looking good while doing it.
WHERE: San Diego Central Library – 330 Park Blvd, San Diego, 92101
WHY: May is National Bike Month, and in an effort to get folks of all ages and levels pedaling in San Diego, the Bike Coalition and other sponsors put together a few hours to inspire community members of all ages, lifestyles and experience to ride while celebrating all things bicycles.